Required Documents for Road Legal Number Plates.

Getting number plates made up

To comply with the law we need to see proof of identity and proof of entitlement these must be genuine documents and not photocopies here are all the examples you can use. 

    Proof of identity:

    • Driving Licence
    • Utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
    • Bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
    • National identity card
    • Passport - does not have to be issued in the UK
    • Bank or building society debit or credit card
    • Police warrant card
    • Armed forces identity card

    Proof of Entitlement:

    • Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
    • Green ‘new keeper’ slip from the V5C or V5CNI
    • Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
    • Retention document (V778)
    • A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
    • Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
    • A number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
    • An electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948 or eV948/2)
    • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate
    • If your fleet is in the new V5C on demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service
    • UK trailer registration certificate (VTRC)